In the following weeks, I will be conducting the IMSS (Instrumental Music School Services) Music Aptitude test for students in Years 2, 3 and 4. Their Aptitude Test score will be the first point of entry in the selection process for students who may be offered an opportunity to learn a musical instrument commencing in 2021.
Following this, to be accepted into an instrumental music program, students must satisfy the following criteria:
- willingness to participate in the instrumental music program
- enthusiasm and aptitude for music as demonstrated through participation in the classroom music program
- adequate parental support
- appropriate physical characteristics (for example, height for the double bass)
- ability to meet the requirements of the program (students have to come out of other classes for their instrumental lesson and must also be prepared to practise daily).
- a commitment to learning this instrument until at least the end of Year 6 at Kapinara Primary
Tuition in the following will be offered in 2021:
Year 3 2021 (current Year 2 students)
Violin x 4 students
Viola x 4 students
Year 4 2021 (current Year 3 students)
Cello x 3 students
Year 5 2021 (current Year 4 students)
Double Bass x 2 students
Guitar x 5 students
Please discuss the above opportunities, and expectations, with your child. If you would like your child to be considered for one of the above places in the instrumental music program, please complete the Expression of Interest Form Instrumental Music Program form and return it to the ’Music’ drawer in the front office by the Friday 18 September 2020.
- if your child already learns an instrument at school, they are not able to swap to another instrument next year.
- if your child is selected and wishes to try for another instrument in the following year (eg. they currently are selected in year 2 for violin, and would like to wait until year 3 to test for cello), they may be tested again the following year, but there is no guarantee that they will be selected.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.