Dear Parents and Carers
All children in Years 2, 3 and 4 have undergone a short Music Aptitude Indicator test in the past two weeks. The test is used to assess children’s ability to hear pitch, rhythm and tunes. The test, along with other factors such student interest and work ethic, parent interest and support and children’s physical suitability for a given instrument, will be used to select students who may be offered the opportunity to participate in the Department of Education’s instrumental music program.
If you know your child is interested and you would like your child to be considered for the instrumental music program, please read, complete and return the attached documents to the music box in the front office.
– students entering Year 3 in 2019 will be able to learn either violin or viola. There will be four places for each.
– students entering Year 4 in 2019 will be able to learn cello
– students entering Year 5 in 2019 will be able to learn either double bass or guitar next year.
Please note, in accordance with the provision of the instrumental music program:
· If a child already learns an instrument at school, they are not able to ‘swap’ to another instrument. (This was communicated prior to children accepting a position in the instrumental program)
· if your child is selected, but wishes to be considered for an instrument that is offered in subsequent years, he/she is able to be assessed again the following year, however there is no guarantee that they will be selected in subsequent years.
(For example, a child may choose not to take the opportunity to learn violin or viola in Year 3 because they hope to be offered cello/double bass/guitar in subsequent years)
If you have any questions regarding any aspect of the instrumental program, please contact me as soon as possible.